In keeping with my celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, I have decided to repost yet another of my favorite Puerto Rican recipes. If you haven’t tried Carne Guisada before, I urge you, I beg you, I IMPLORE you to try it! Really, it’s that good.
CARNE GUISADA (PUERTO RICAN STYLE BEEF STEW)
- 1½ lbs stew meat
- 3-5 potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp recaito
- 8-oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- 10 olives, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk of celery
- Place meat and salt in pan with enough water to cover.
- Cook at medium high heat until boiling, then lower heat and cook 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain.
- Peel and dice potatoes.
- Dice carrot and celery.
- Add recaito, tomato sauce, olives, potatoes, carrot, celery, bay leaves, olive oil and beef stock. Cook at moderate heat until boiling.
- Lower to medium heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring once.
- Add meat; continue to simmer at medium heat for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Serve with white rice and tostones.
Music to cook by….
Until next time, Happy Cooking! :)
“I guess it all depends on whom you ask and when you ask. Race, I’ve learned, is in the eye of the beholder.” ― Raquel Cepeda, Bird of Paradise: How I Became Latina